Saturday, June 9, 2012

Destiny Rescue Cambodia – Making Life Better for Those Who Most Need It


Three objectives I set right from the start for my CT3 journey were: 1) to share with words and images (on the CT3 Blog and Facebook pages) some of the amazing regions of Asia that I explore; 2) learn and share my learning about conservation and sustainability related issues I encounter and 3) meet and share the stories of people & groups back home and abroad who are making the world a better place.  My hope is that what I share will inspire others to do things to contribute to a healthy planet and a healthy future for all of us. We can all make a difference.

I have learned so much on this journey including gaining a better appreciation for the importance of education, good health, clean water, global ‘peace’ and the alleviation of poverty if we truly want to realize a sustainable world. Things are changing so rapidly as we add more and more people to the planet.

Many things came together for me during my visit to Cambodia, one of the poorest yet richest nations in Asia. Poor economically but rich in culture and people. I was also humbled on a visit to an organization that has been working to help the underprivileged, particularly children, in Phnom Penh.
The organization is called Destiny Rescue. I have to thank some Rotary friends in the US and Australia for making the connection for me (thanks Nancy and Susanne!).

Imagine working in a challenging career for 25 years of your life, raising two kids on your own, going back to university as a mature student (at the same time as one of your children!), creating things worthy of a patent and that could put you in a financial position that would keep you comfortable for the rest of your life … and then saying, “No. I want to give back something. I have more than I need already and there are so many people in the world who are less fortunate than I and who have nothing.” That is what Chris, the Country Manager for the Cambodia arm of Destiny Rescue, did earlier this year.

Destiny Rescue is an international NGO established to help abused and sexually exploited children. In Phnom Penh, Destiny Rescue operates an education centre and a care home where underprivileged and exploited children can get an education, receive medical care, and feel safe and loved by caring and compassionate volunteers and staff. Chris left her career in Australia to volunteer for a year (maybe longer) in some of the poorest areas of the city.

Chris took me to meet some of the children at the Destiny Rescue facilities in Phnom Penh some of whom have been raped, others beaten and forced into prostitution and sadly one or two now have HIV. Absolutely heartbreaking.

When we walked in to both the school and the care home she was swarmed by the kids all of whom wanted a hug and some attention. So heartwarming.

She also took me to one of the villages that Destiny Rescue works in where many of the children come from. Poverty, alcoholism and out of control gambling are all evident.

Looking in the eyes of the villagers I could see the sadness. Some preferred to look away. Life for some of them must seem so hopeless…. so difficult. Yet, with the efforts of people like Chris and her incredible team of volunteers and staff, many children are finding hope and opportunity for a future. A future that does not include prostitution but instead includes employment and an enriching contribution to society.

But as Chris points out, she is just one of many who volunteer in Cambodia for Destiny Rescue. Her friend Rhonda, an accomplished professional also from Australia, has used much of her holiday time to come help and although is heading home soon, already has plans to come back again. And the Project Manager at Kampong Cham, Cambodia gave up a real estate business and moved his wife and 4 children to do this work. Thank you Chris, Rhonda and everyone at Destiny Rescue for what you do! You inspire me.

To learn more about Destiny Rescue check out this link: www.destinyrescue.org