Thursday, May 17, 2012

Xi’an China – World Biodiversity Congress


I left Chengdu after the enlightening experience at the Moon Bear Rescue Centre and flew to Xian as I was scheduled to speak at the 1st World Biodiversity Congress the next day.

Speakers from around the world came to share their research and management findings with the intent of sharing learning related to Biodiversity Conservation around the world.

My contribution was a session on the role of education in Biodiversity Conservation where I related my experiences using online technology and social media to share learning related to conservation and sustainability through my Catt-Trax journeys.

My presentation abstract is as follows:

"Environmental education and advocacy play a critical role in promoting positive environmental and social change. In an ever changing world with an unprecedented rate of loss of biological diversity due to human activities, the role of education has never been as important as it is today. As a wildlife ecologist and photographer, I have tried to increase awareness and contribute to positive change by documenting and sharing the conservation related learning from my international travels to over 60 countries around the globe. In 2002, I carried out an educational journey through Africa (Catt-Trax) and in 2007 did a similar journey through South America and Antarctica (Catt-Trax 2). The conservation issues and successes that I encountered, shared electronically in real time via the internet, were followed by students and adults across Canada and around the world. The objective of the Catt-Trax journeys was to raise awareness of global conservation and sustainability issues using technology and media that would engage and excite concerned world citizens. From March to June, 2012, I am doing a Catt-Trax journey through Asia, this time using social media to share my experiences and learning to increase awareness of global issues and share the message that we can all contribute to biodiversity conservation and a more sustainable future."

The conference was great but I was only able to take in one day of the 4 day event. I was though able to take in talks on the ‘Commercialization of Wildlife in Australia’, 'Sustainable Communities in Utah', 'Invasive Species Management in the US' and also how climate change is influencing the spread of mosquito borne diseases to Europe (including Malaria)!